Friday, August 31, 2012

THE CRUCIBLE by Ruby Barnes_Review

The Crucible (Part 1)The Crucible by Ruby Barnes

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Review of The Crucible by Ruby Barnes
Reviewed for Making Connections Goodreads Group, of an ebook copy received from the author on July 26 2012, in exchange for my provision of a fair and impartial review.

From the first novel I read by Ruby Barnes, which was “The Baptist,” I have been a convert. No matter the subject matter, if Mr. Barnes wrote it, I’ll read it. “The Crucible” is no exception. Jam-packed with historical, cultural, geographical, societal, and technological information, filled to the rafters to bursting with adventure, thrills, emotion, and deep backstory, “The Crucible” is nonetheless incredibly fast-paced and definitely a page-turner. Even though the engineering detail didn’t penetrate (I’m sorry, I’m just not gifted in that respect ) the story still carried me right on through. Yes, there’s violence, yes, there’s sensuality, yes, there’s an untold number of deaths (the vast majority of which are probably unnecessary and unwanted), but the story! Mr. Barnes has an incredible grip on the process of making a novel work, and deftly demonstrates it here. From the heart-stopping reader’s hook of Page 1 right on through to the riveting end, this is a roller-coaster ride and a fine example of the inimitable writing style of Ruby Barnes. I highly recommend it (and all his novels, as well).




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE