Tuesday, August 21, 2012

DEMON INHIBITIONS by Gary Starta_Review

Demon InhibitionsDemon Inhibitions by Gary Starta

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Reposting, as the author has newly republished this novel.

The author provided me with a review copy -in exchange for my fair, honest, and authentic review.


Review of Demon Inhibitions by Gary Starta

4 Stars

A delightfully engrossing novel with much more than a hint of paranormal, “Demon Inhibitions” proved to be much more than I expected, and happily so. I enjoyed the book, but a few of the characters I found myself wanting to shake senseless; amazing our protagonist put up with them! Guess that’s what makes for tension in fiction, though, and makes it more believable-certainly in real life everyone doesn’t mesh smoothly. My irritation stems from these individuals’ desire to hold their cards close and not reveal too much, in effect tricking protagonist Caitlin into situations that might otherwise have been potentially avoidable.

Author Gary Starta weaves multiple sub-genres into this story, including paranormal (witches-demons-off in the backstage, lycans and vamps) and science fiction (parallel universes, doppelgangers, alternate dimensions), plus mystery-but keeps it all balanced as he juggles several subplots and many characters. I appreciated the novel’s revelation of bigotry as rooted in the human condition-as characters in the alternate reality both experience and discover, bigotry simply means denigration of any other group-including divergent species (including, in this case, demons).




View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE