Thursday, August 23, 2012

FOG by Caroline B. Cooney_Review

Fog (Losing Christina, #1)Fog by Caroline B. Cooney




I received an advance review copy from the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange for my impartial review.


Review of Fog by Caroline B. Cooney

First of all, I must confess that I became a major fan of Caroline B. Cooney’s YA and MG novels back in the 1980’s, as a single mom of 3. It was important to me to introduce my children to good books, as I had been (and continue to be) such a voracious reader since early childhood. Well, I got hooked on Ms. Cooney’s novels: good characterizations, fascinating locales, sprightly plotting (who hasn’t pondered “The Face on the Milk Carton”?), and much more more render Ms. Cooney a consistent champion in the YA/MG sweepstakes. Obviously, since I was already well past that age when I discovered her books, she appeals to adult readers too.
So when I discovered “Fog” on offer via NetGalley, I did not even wait to read the blurb! Of course, “Fog” lives up to my expectations.

A story of “gaslighting”-the procedure of psychologically manipulating one or more individuals to convince the targets, and their loved ones and friends, that they are in actuality either already insane, or becoming so. The term derives from a 1944 film, but the practice is no doubt much older than that. The problem is that only the controllers and the target know the facts are not apparent-“outsiders,” including family and friends, don’t see a difference. “Fog” is also a story of courage-of what it means to find courage in oneself, when one is under attack (psychological, verbal, or physical) and when no one else sees a problem, instead blaming the victim. As such, “Fog” should become must-reading for those victimized by bullying, or for those proactive in bullying prevention. I can’t recommend this book highly enough.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE