Saturday, August 4, 2012

HOTBLOOD (HOUSE OF SLIDE #1) by Juliann Whicker_Review

Hotblood (House of Slide, #1)Hotblood by Juliann Whicker

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This is one of the most complicated, yet engrossing, novels I’ve read (and I’ve read thousands over the course of my six decades). There is such a tremendous quantity and quality of backstory to this series, that I visualize the author as having an entire bookshelf of vinyl notebooks stuffed to overflowing with character, plot, genetic, and hierarchical data. Make no mistake: an incredible amount of effort and energy went into this novel (and I’m sure, into the series) and I totally loved it and anticipate the next series entry.

Author Juliann Whicker postulates a “reality,” so similar, yet so divergent, to our own; in which ordinary humans live side by side with humans who are-other. No, not vamps, werewolves, other shifters-not even elves and Fae. These are: Wilds, Hotbloods, Cools, formerly Hollows, and now Hybrids. The protagonist, Dariana, is a Hybrid, as was the brother who stole her soul when she was only six. When the novel commences, brother Devlin is being interred, the victim of a bloodworker. Enter Lewis, seemingly a Hotblood, who espies Dari at the funeral and realizes she is without a soul; then determines to help her.

This is just a glimpse at the astronomically convoluted plot complications-you simply must read this novel, and the series. I think this one should go on the Top 100 YA Paranormal list!




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE