Wednesday, November 7, 2012

THE HAUNTING OF JAMES HASTINGS by Christopher Ransom_Review


The Haunting of James Hastings The Haunting of James Hastings by Christopher Ransom
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Review of The Haunting of James Hastings by Christopher Ransom
4 Stars

I first began reading the novels of Christopher Ransom at the encouragement of a Goodreads friend. I read and totally enjoyed “The Birthing House,” Mr. Ransom’s debut novel; then began on “The People Next Door” (the beginning scared me so much I’ve had to put it aside for a time). I expected this one to be a ghost story, and it is (as well as a “Ghost story,” as you will quickly discover when you read the novel). I just didn’t enjoy this one as much-maybe it was the L. A. setting, maybe the hip-hop framework. I surely did not enjoy the desert section-but I surely did find myself  terrified by that poor little boy-so as far as horror goes, it worked.

This is a complicated novel (so was “The Birthing House”) with a lot of graphic violence, a lot of profanity, and some noticeably graphic sexual scenes-I guess, to be expected in view of the celebrity-music-scene.
I’m not sorry I read it, but it will not be my favourite book by this author.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE