Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A CHILD IS TORN: INNOCENCE LOST by Dawn Kopman Whidden_Review


A Child is Torn “Innocence Lost”A Child is Torn “Innocence Lost” by Dawn Kopman Whidden
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review shortly-wow, what a book!

Review of A Child is Torn: Innocence Lost
5 Stars

I don’t very often use this phrase, but here it applies: this novel totally “blew me away.” I could not but read this in the space of a few hours, as I was not about to put the book aside unfinished. That ending! The author does give a clue or two, but believe me, the denouement is not telegraphed and so comes as an unexpected revelation, to the characters as well as to the reader. Yet-logically it all works out, and after four and a half decades of self-study of psychology and a baccalaureate degree in the subject, it makes perfect sense, and I appreciate the ways in which the author works out the plot; and her discussion of the Nature vs. Nurture debate.

A young child, age ten, is found playing a video game in his living room; alone, except for his bludgeoned parents upstairs in their bedroom. He says, “I did it,” yet no one can believe it; the boy is small for his age, almost silent. How could he have? Well, read on and find out: did he or didn’t he? Why were the parents murdered? What really happened, and what is in the background of this family? Child abuse?  A killer from outside the family?  Be prepared for nearly continuous surprises in this very, very, rewarding novel.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE