Saturday, April 14, 2012

Rook by J. C. Andrijeski_Review (Allie's War #1)

Rook (Allie's War, #1)Rook by J.C. Andrijeski

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


An action-packed, thrill-soaked beginning catapults readers into the story, and quickly we learn that the setting is very unusual indeed. Yes, characters act as we normally would expect of human behavior-but this is not the ordinary, routine, Earth in which most of us live. This reader would have liked to have a little more background in world-building of the society before jumping right in, but I cannot fault author Andrijeski’s fast-paced, suspense-building, and tossing her protagonist smack into the arena and into adventures of all sorts, including a bizarre and almost “unreal” (in the context of her culture) past history. Adventure abounds in this novel, as does action; I found it almost impossible to catch my breath, the story line moved that quickly!

“Rook” is the beginning of a quintology, and I expect it would work as a stand-alone novel; yet I for one am glad to know that it is the beginning of a series. The author has constructed such a complex society and world history here that only by composing several novels in the series could it be fully fleshed-out, developed, and explored. I look forward to the further volumes of “Allie’s War.”




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE