Wednesday, April 25, 2012

FREAKS OF THE HEARTLAND by Steve Niles_Advance Review

Freaks of the HeartlandFreaks of the Heartland by Steve Niles

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Generally I avoid graphic novels, believing “they’re not my thing.” But I chose to read this one because of the title and description; and I am so thankful I did. Talk about reader’s hook! The first page or so grabbed me; and the art is delicious-very evocative-where in a novel I would normally look to the description to understand setting, here it’s right in front of me, and so well drawn! Between the art and the text, I literally experienced cold shivers throughout the book. If THIS is what graphic novels can do for horror, I’ve been sadly misguided. I’d like to call this book extraordinary: it has deep characterizations, likely dialogue, horror, family tension (serious dysfunction), and that wonderful, exquisite art! “Freaks of the Heartland” has made a Dark Horse Books fan out of me!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE