Saturday, April 14, 2012

The BoogeyMann by Bennie Newsome_Review

The BoogeyMannThe BoogeyMann by Bennie Newsome

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


“The BoogeyMann” was a joy to read, fast-paced and exciting, with plenty of humour to leaven what in reality would be some very serious-even potentially dangerous-situations. I want to add that the protagonist is “one sick puppy” and has serious psychological issues-and a complete lack of empathy. However, he is still a comprehensible character, and his behaviours and beliefs are well-balanced by the remaining cast of characters, both primary and secondary.

Author Newsome has a winning grasp of the minds and personalities and emotional development of young people, both small children, middle-grade, and adolescent. I thought he excelled in drawing these characters, all of whom rung very true to life, and were fully developed individuals, each in their own right, easily inspiring our empathy (and sympathy). In addition, he calls the shots accurately in delineating both male and female characters (I am particularly in mind of a certain scene with Ms. Jones ). Events in this book are very realistic, and more importantly, plausible. I had no trouble believing in the story line.

I totally enjoyed this novel, which is not quite like anything else I’ve ever read, and highly recommend it.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE