Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larssen_Review

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I am reading this book for the April 2012 Pick4Me Challenge, and also because of the hype about the series. The Prologue was mildly interesting-and I wanted to follow that lead and see where it goes. But the next sections? On and on about the injunction against a journalist for alleged libel; how he got the information; why the plaintiff is a multi-billionaire, and now about a security firm? Like reading Business Week but with a Swedish venue! I am so not interested! Where is the reader’s hook? The plotline? The Characters?
Now at 8%, the story pace is finally starting to pick up; if I had been Beta Reading this, I would have said, axe out everything between the prologue and the point at which Salander announces the journalist Blomkvist was probably framed-start the story there. End of Chapter Four-NOW it gets interesting, and with a loop back to the mystery of the Prologue.

But despite the appearance or reoccurrence, of an actually fascinating decades-old mystery-a “locked room” type of mystery, even though it occurred outdoors-I simply could not develop an interest in this book. None of the characters elicited my empathy, except ancient magnate Vanger, and his disappeared granddaughter Harriet. Other than those two I felt as if I simply watched a film, without much depth or intrigue. Yes, not even the title character caught my attention.

I’ve yet to read the remaining two in the trilogy, but that’s not something I intend to do very soon.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE