Accepting NO review requests

As of 28 February 2016, due to decline in my health and chronic illness

Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larssen_Review

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I am reading this book for the April 2012 Pick4Me Challenge, and also because of the hype about the series. The Prologue was mildly interesting-and I wanted to follow that lead and see where it goes. But the next sections? On and on about the injunction against a journalist for alleged libel; how he got the information; why the plaintiff is a multi-billionaire, and now about a security firm? Like reading Business Week but with a Swedish venue! I am so not interested! Where is the reader’s hook? The plotline? The Characters?
Now at 8%, the story pace is finally starting to pick up; if I had been Beta Reading this, I would have said, axe out everything between the prologue and the point at which Salander announces the journalist Blomkvist was probably framed-start the story there. End of Chapter Four-NOW it gets interesting, and with a loop back to the mystery of the Prologue.

But despite the appearance or reoccurrence, of an actually fascinating decades-old mystery-a “locked room” type of mystery, even though it occurred outdoors-I simply could not develop an interest in this book. None of the characters elicited my empathy, except ancient magnate Vanger, and his disappeared granddaughter Harriet. Other than those two I felt as if I simply watched a film, without much depth or intrigue. Yes, not even the title character caught my attention.

I’ve yet to read the remaining two in the trilogy, but that’s not something I intend to do very soon.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE