Accepting NO review requests

As of 28 February 2016, due to decline in my health and chronic illness

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Review of The Lure of the Shapinsay by Krista Holle

The Lure of ShapinsayThe Lure of Shapinsay by Krista Holle

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Clever writing and an intriguing historical backdrop, plus a feisty, strong-minded heroine, hook the reader into this story. Accurate dialogue set against a background of superstition (although who knows, maybe the magic is real ) and a rapid-pace plot line keep that attention, drawing the reader into the story and never letting her go. This is a very well-written novel, both in the sense of the author’s writing style, but also in terms of setting, plotting, dialogue, and background. I am simply marveling at Krista Holle’s ability to bring that “historical”/legendary background into realistic belief, to illustrate it, and to make us as readers believe in it. Wonderful! I highly recommend this one! YA-age readers will appreciate the heroine’s strength, ability to fend for herself after being orphaned at a young age, and her chameleon-like mutability as veneer over a very strong and independent core. Older readers will enjoy that as well, but will also glory in the subtle humour-wry and ironic-possessed by our protagonist. Trust me: you don’t have to like historical, mythical, or even Fae novels to enjoy this one! It’s just purely GOOD! This is one book I am very happy to have requested to review, and I am giving it a 12 star-of-5 recommendation!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE