Monday, April 16, 2012

Nightmarys by Dan Poblocki_Review

The NightmarysThe Nightmarys by Dan Poblocki

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


“The Stone Child,” Dan Poblocki’s first novel, was scary; but for consistent fright, it’s surpassed by “Nightmarys,” which purely scared this reviewer from one end to the other. I was still scared AFTER I finished the book! It’s so plausible-to anyone who believes in the Supernatural or accepts that it might be plausible; and even if one is a Supernatural skeptic, this novel still works on a fear-inspiring basis if one views it as a psychological treatise. “Nightmarys” is based on a similar fulcrum to some aspects of Voodoo: that one’s own beliefs and fears can scare one, even unto death. I think this has pretty much been demonstrated psychologically, so even if one decries the Supernatural overtones of the novel, it is still effective as a story of thrilling suspense. But I like it better as a novel of the Supernatural.

As with “The Stone Child,” Author Poblocki’s understanding of middle-grade youngsters is superb. They are realistic, likable (even the bullies are understandable), and the reader quickly empathises with their quest to “make things right” and their compassion for others. I highly recommend “Nightmarys” for readers of any age from middle-grade through adults.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE