Thursday, May 10, 2012

MARYSVALE by Jared Southwick_Review

MarysvaleMarysvale by Jared Southwick

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


“Marysvale” captivated me from Moment One. I loved the style, the writing, the poetic descriptions, the fantasy, the psychic element, the Supernatural elements, the approach to characters, the addressing of issues that have been urgent throughout the centuries and continue to be today (domestic violence, power and control vs. good governing, human greed and cupidity, despotism, and much more).

I am not generally an aficionado of High Fantasy, but this novel is so superb that I determined to immediately acquire and read the sequel. Why? I need to find out what happens next, to the characters, to the plot, to the locale. I need to know the revelation of the secrets of some of the “secondary” characters (who might turn out to be not too secondary at all, but instead more important) in this novel. I want to know, because author Jared Southwick has made me care about the outcomes for the characters. Some I want to succeed; others I want to see fail. But I must know!

I’m not going to relate any of the plot, because the novel is simply worth reading for itself, regardless of genre, sub-genre, type of setting, locale, plot, or character. Don’t take this to mean all of these elements are not important: they are, and they are excellently handled, as are a number of plot threads which have been neatly and logically intertwined. No dropped stitches in this novel. If I could, I would award Marysvale about 12 Stars. I’ve become a persistent fan of the author, which means anything he publishes, I’ll now read.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE