Tuesday, December 4, 2012

GATHERING DARKNESS by Chris Allinotte_Review


Gathering DarknessGathering Darkness by Chris Allinotte
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I reviewed an e-book copy provided by the author, via the Goodreads Group Paranormal and Horror Lovers, in return for my provision of a fair and impartial review.

Review of Gathering Darkness by Chris Allinotte
5 stars

“Gathering Darkness” is one of those extraordinary short story collections that makes me so happy I’ve picked it up. Rich in depth and imagination, there are stories here sure to please almost everyone, and many that will leave the reader looking back over her shoulder, hoping to still be alone.

The 28 stories included-some never before published-are scary, heartwarming, heartbreaking, thought-provoking. Yes, there is straight-out horror (such as “Pick Your Own Pumpkin” [shudder! I’ll never forget this one!] or “Sex and Beer” [don’t be fooled by the title: this is one frightening tale, interweaving contemporary culture right along with the “I can’t believe this is happening” terror). There’s also psychological horror, as evinced in, for example, “Coming Home.” You can read these at one sitting, or take your time and savour, one story at a time. I just recommend that there are some [“Pick Your Own Pumpkin,” again] probably better not read during the wee hours of  a dark, moonless night. Don’t miss this collection by an accomplished and gifted author.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE