Wednesday, October 24, 2012

PROGENY by Patrick Greene_Review


ProgenyProgeny by Patrick Greene
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review of Progeny by Patrick Greene


What an astounding novel is this! I went in expecting horror-and horror I got-but also literate, character-evolving, coming-of-age (not just in the two young boys, but also in the person of one of the boy’s father), cultural and traditional clashes, the shifting tectonic plates of the established Appalachian culture of centuries against the more modern ecology-preserving approach (although this latter approach was present in the indigenous tribes from their very beginning). This story is much deeper and richer than I had any right to expect. It flung me from beginning to end without pause, and then beckoned at me to come at it again for a slower, more savouring, reread. I am so glad I read this book. I love it when a story speaks to me on so many levels, and promises to tell me more if I just examine it once again. Kudos to both author Patrick Greene and to the insight of his publisher, Hobbes End Publishing (and an additional thank-you to Micah Hanks for his Foreword).


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE