Sunday, March 11, 2012

White Witch by Trish Milburn_Review (GMTA Review)

White WitchWhite Witch by Trish Milburn
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Jax is a Coven deserter-a generational witch who wants nothing more to do with her family’s Coven, she has utilized magic to acquire a car, an RV, and to disappear from her Miami home, traveling to the North Carolina mountains hoping to-of all things-enroll in high school. For this she needs a little more magic-some temporarily enraptured human to play Mom till the files are processed and she’s a new student. Jax just wants to be your normal, average, adolescent girl-which of course she isn’t-but that’s her dream, and it’s one she’s sure her father and the hunters he’s undoubtedly sent on her trail will never detect. Seems like a doable plan, if not a lofty one-and Jax manages the enrollment process swimmingly-until skidding to an abrupt halt at her second encounter with a hunter whose presence she can’t sense in advance, who can handle bloodstone (any dark Supernatural beings cannot), and who just happens to also be enrolling-at the very same North Carolina mountain high school Jax has chosen. What kind of trouble is bound to ensue from this?

I found this story perky, and I’m sure it will appeal to YA readers who are in the younger and midpoint of that age set. For myself, I found it a little unrealistic, as I could not understand why someone would enter high school if she could get by with self-education, as she had been (and home-schooling), nor why a Supernatural being would desire not only anonymity (that I can understand) but mediocrity (impossible for me to coneeive). However, these are probably just my personal peccadilloes. This will be the first of a Trilogy.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE