Monday, March 19, 2012

Review of The Fierce and Unforgiving Muse

Evil Jester Digest Volume OneEvil Jester Digest Volume One by Peter Giglio

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


A delightful and literate “Note to the Editor” opens the gates to the ten stories contained in this first episode of “Evil Jester Digest.” I very much enjoyed this foreword, but Editor Peter Giglio is accurate when he suggests that readers-mostly-do buy anthologies for the authors and stories. Let me be one of the first to tell you; this is one exceptional selection. Tracy L. Carbone; David Dunwoody; Hollie Snider; Gary Brandner; Rick Hautala; Eric Shapiro; Gregory L. Norris; Phil Hickes; John F. D. Taff; and Aric Sundquist, are the stunners contributing to the excellence of this volume.

From the very first story by Tracy L. Carbone (by page two I thought I’d been kicked in the chest, and literally jumped backwards in shock and surprise, and I’m pretty sure my hair stood to attention the entire duration of the story) right through to the tenth story, Aric Sundquist’s novella, this is extraordinary writing. I don’t want to spoil the extreme pleasure for future readers-but I will say, if you enjoy horror in the slightest, if you have a skewed bone in your body, if you like your terror to creep up on you and scream “Boo” in your ear, if you want horror to sink into your bones and never leave your consciousness-you MUST acquire Evil Jester Digest Volume One. Volume One readily earned its place on my Keeper-Must Reread shelf-and I know it will do so for readers everywhere.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE