Sunday, September 23, 2012

THE BLOOD THAT BONDS by Christopher Buecheler_Review

The Blood That Bonds (II AM Trilogy #1)The Blood That Bonds by Christopher Buecheler
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Reviewing for FreeBookDude.com for Sept. 22


Review of The Blood that Bonds
A II AM Trilogy
5 Stars

I’ve been quite pleasantly surprised lately by the increasing quality of vampire fiction. I had avoided this sub-genre for some time because I seemed to encounter the “same old, same old” over and over: you know, hot male vampire stalks and bites sexy human female, making her vampiric and they live happily ever after. Well, lately, I’ve been encountering vampire novels with real “meat” (intentional pun) and “The Blood That Bonds” is an outstanding example. I see originality here, and that must be difficult to achieve in such a well-worn sub-genre, which had itself become mostly an overdone rut. This is a novel I could reread over and over, and I am certainly planning on reading the next in the series.
Young Two (yes, that is her given first name) left home at sixteen, her mother long dead and her father just an angry alcoholic. She does all right on her own for a while, but a mugging attack leaves her beaten and abducted by two members of a pimp’s stable. He of course addicts her to heroin and turns her out, and life continues in this sorry way for some time, until a new “client” prepays for her evening-and her world turns inside out.
Thereon is a four-hundred-year old vampire, who spotted Two on a street corner and fell deeply in love. Now if this is not unusual enough, Thereon’s living situation, lineage, and the process by which his lineage turns humans to vampires, is original, unusual, and riveting.
My recommendation: I don’t care if you love vampires or not-this is a must-read book. If you’re not yet a vampire fan, be prepared to be convinced. This one is worth reading, keeping, and rereading. Now go out and get it!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE