Sunday, July 29, 2012

THE YARD by Alex Grecian_Review

The YardThe Yard by Alex Grecian

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


A very engrossing novel of Victorian Scotland Yard in the wake of the failure to locate Jack the Ripper after his Whitechapel atrocities of 1888, or even to find clues to his identity, “The Yard” unwraps the tensions and characters of the “New Yard,” after Inspector March has retired. Detectives who are accustomed to working alone and at their own pace; one of the Murder Squad detectives who has simply given up and moved to the Midlands to be a shopkeeper; a new Commissioner; and suddenly, a brutal and untimely murder of one of the members of Scotland Yard’s Murder Squad, seemingly killed for no reason-populate this amazing story.

Well-researched and well-written, this is a compelling novel and this reviewer can’t help but hope for a sequel. My favourite historical era comes alive in “The Yard,” and brings to light the social and economic issues of the time, as well as the cultural. I felt like I know historical London better than I ever had before reading this novel.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE