Wednesday, July 25, 2012

INSURGENT (DIVERGENT #2) by Veronica Roth_Review

Insurgent (Divergent, #2)Insurgent by Veronica Roth

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Divergent #2
In some series, one or more novels can function as a stand-alone. Sometimes that’s because enough backstory is added, sometimes it’s due to that particular series entry taking a different turn (focusing on different characters, settings, or plot threads). In this case, that’s not so: “Insurgent” leaps in immediately where “Divergent” stopped-and I recommend, if you haven’t read the excellent “Divergent” first, do so before reading “Insurgent.” It’s only been four months since I read and loved “Divergent,” but I’m finding myself at a loss as I try to reactivate memories, identify characters (some of whom change names), remember familial and non-familial relationships, the meaning of the factions, and the stunning ending of “Divergent.”

But before I had read even 10% of the book, that ceased to matter; and I found myself racing through the pages at near the speed of light, so engrossed in the plotting and characters that I couldn’t stop myself. Nor could I stop without finishing! It’s overdone to say “I read with heart in mouth,” but yet I did exactly that.

My conclusion, then, is that “Insurgent” is every bit as great a book as “Divergent,” and both novels deserve a wide, expanded readership. Word of mouth rules: pass it on.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE