Monday, July 16, 2012

IN THE WOODS by Tana French_Review

In The Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1)In The Woods by Tana French

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I sorely wanted this book to have closure, especially since the Prologue entrapped me, and the case covered there runs like a second head or a Siamese twin throughout the book. It is difficult to say much in my review, because whether I am praising the character studies, or complaining about the closure, I must be careful not to give away too much to readers who wish to read “In the Woods” but haven’t yet.

I very much applaud two character studies of a certain type of character which are immensely effective written-so much so that I still have lingering chills remembering. The plotting is intricate; Ms. French strews what seems to be a huge amount of red herrings, but on reflection, I will say that the plot is taut.

This novel is in the category of what I call “Literary Horror,” but that would not cover the entirety. Primarily a novel of psychological suspense, with an intricate plot and riveting characters, “In the Woods” is worth the read. It is precisely those elements which to me indicate the potential for Horror at which I feel the story came in incomplete.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE