Monday, November 17, 2014

Review: A SHRILL KEENING by Ronald Malfi




REVIEW: A SHRILL KEENING by Ronald Malfi

Mr. Malfi is such an accomplished author of horror (among my favorites are FLOATING STAIRCASE, THE MOURNING HOUSE, and SNOW) that I came to this story with high expectations; yet I wasn't expecting to read of the nature of reality altered. Carl is an involuntary psychiatric inmate, confined after conviction of murder he doesn't remember, but in an alternate reality he is a Watchman, charged with patrolling the beach boardwalk in order to sound the alert at first awareness of "The Arrival," signaled only by "a shrill keening."

I would classify this as science fiction more than horror, but its seriously Lovecraftian aspects (totally my favorite scenes) certainly bring Horror in an unexpected type of Apocalypse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE