Wednesday, February 13, 2013

MUSIC OF GHOSTS by Sallie Bissell (A Mary Crow Mystery)_Review


Music of Ghosts: A Novel of SuspenseMusic of Ghosts: A Novel of Suspense by Sallie Bissell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review of Music of Ghosts by Sallie Bissell
A Mary Crow Mystery
5 Stars

I had read an earlier mystery in the Mary Crow series some years back, and enjoyed it very much. I also found myself totally engrossed in “Music of Ghosts,” Sallie Bissell’s newest entry in this series. Mary Crow is a Cherokee attorney, a former prosecutor, who for the past seven years has lived on a mountain in North Carolina’s Pisgah County and practiced civil law. She made a promise seven years ago to her life partner and long-term love Jonathan Walkingstick, not to practice criminal law. But now, the coed daughter of a former North Carolina governor has been murdered, an odd script carved all over her body, near an infamous, supposedly haunted cabin, the scene of two murders back in 1958.

Sallie Bissell delineates the Appalachian landscape and its people, both Caucasian and indigenous, with a  deft brush, and brings the area vividly to life. Reading this novel was like following the characters around, experiencing their events and emotions. I’m definitely making it my goal to catch up on the books in this series I’ve missed.
I reviewed a complimentary e-book copy via NetGalley.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE