Thursday, February 7, 2013

LYNNWOOD by Thomas Brown_Review


LynnwoodLynnwood by Thomas   Brown
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review of Lynnwood by Thomas Brown
5 stars

The village of Lynnwood is tucked away in England’s New Forest, a bucolic and slow-moving locale with much evidence of its historic past. Indeed, the schoolchildren attend classes in a building constructed several centuries ago for that very purpose. But the bucolic peace of Lynnwood is a misnomer, or rather an illusion cast upon the villagers, for there are inexplicable forces in the Forest and in the abandoned railway tunnel, forces that cause the inhabitants to disappear.

I gave this book 5 stars for being well-written, 4 stars for its interest for me. I think the problem for me is that from first sight of the cover, I was reminded of a certain episode from Torchwood Season 1, about an isolated rural village. The entire time I read the story that episode, which had really upset me, kept superimposing itself over my “view” of Lynnwood. I almost felt that the villagers of Lynnwood were foolish, remaining when they had to know, even if unconsciously, that their lives and those of their families, friends, and pets were endangered.

I reviewed a complimentary e-book copy via NetGalley.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE