Tuesday, December 9, 2014

REVIEW TOMORROW! by Philip Wylie

REVIEW TOMORROW! By Philip Wylie TOMORROW! was originally published in 1952. I didn't read it then, but I read it beginning to end several years later, as a child. I have seldom been so terrified by a book: for years I could not bear the sound of a jet passing overhead. As I remember from a perspective of 50 years, the seminal books before adulthood were Tomorrow! and Walter M. Miller Jr.'s post-apocalyptic treasure, A CANTICLE FOR LEIBOWITZ (another classic I hope to see republished as an e-book). That's probably no surprise, given that I grew up during the Cold War and McCarthyism, Khrushchev' s pounding shoe and the Cuban Missile crisis. 50 years and umpteen wars later, TOMORROW! is just as scary, just as potent, just as pertinent. I think everyone should read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE