Saturday, March 17, 2012

Today at Amazon: Tales from an Apartment by Gerald Rice_My Review



Tales from an ApartmentTales from an Apartment by Gerald Rice

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


8 stories of horror and the bizarre from the extraordinarily creative (and wild) imagination of accomplished author Gerald Rice are set in apartment venues, where the “normal” frame of reference is turned-on its head, on its side, even reversed. This is apartment living like you’ve never experienced it before.

The very first story, “Slug,” contains one of the best sentences I’ve read in forever, as if author Rice stood inside my mind and perceived life the way I do. If I hadn’t determined some time ago to read everything he writes, I would decide that right now. I’m a convert! The prose, the characterizations, the plotting, the settings, are all delightful-fast-paced, yet the reader will keep pausing to savour, and even reread, some of these excellent sentences. A Gerald Rice story or novel is a joy indeed, a pleasure meant to be sipped at, and never rushed. Every story is an adventure, one from which the reader will return subtly altered, for the better. This short story collection can be perused very quickly-but please don’t: settle in, take your time, enjoy.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE