Monday, March 19, 2012

Review of Stripped by Brian Freeman (Jonathan Stride #2)

Stripped (Jonathan Stride, #2)Stripped by Brian Freeman

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I first read the newest mystery by Brian Freeman-The Bone House-and enraptured, determined to read all his novels. I loved Immoral, Jonathan Stride #1. Not so much this novel, #2. The writing is still just as excellent, the convoluted plotting still delivers punches harder than a kick to the heart. But the setting in this one-the gritty, noir, greedy, Id-driven setting-I think is what turned me away. Granted, the author does nothing wrong in this novel-everything I’ve come to love in his mysteries is here. I think I reacted to “Stripped” and its tales of the ugly side of Las Vegas in much the same way as I reacted to “Chinatown.” Let me impress the reader with this, though-unless you have a godly omniscience, you will not figure out the real secrets in this story. It is worth reading just for a study of how a master of mystery delivers.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

FURTHERMORE